Discussion and conclusion
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Collegian
- Factors that influence nurses' job satisfaction: a literature review.Nurs Manag (Harrow). 2015; 22 (PMID: 25921909): 30-37https://doi.org/10.7748/nm.22.2.30.e1297
- An evaluation of a community aged care nurse practitioner service.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2005; 14: 1202-1209https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01199.x
- Reporting a research project on the potential of aged care nurse practitioners in the Australian Capital Territory.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008; 18: 255-262https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02452.x
- A clinical trial of nurse practitioner care in residential aged care facilities.Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2018; 77: 129-132https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2018.05.001
- Can transfers from residential aged care facilities to the Emergency Department be avoided through improved primary care services? Data from qualitative interviews.Australasian Journal on Ageing. 2010; 29: 61-65https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6612.2009.00415.x
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2017). Ageing. Available from: 〈http://www.aihw.gov.au/ageing/〉.
- Older Australia at a glance.AIHW, Canberra2018
- Preceptorship and the nurse practitioner student: navigating the liminal space.Journal of Nursing Education. 2015; 54: 430-437
- Employing a qualitative description approach in health care research.Global Qualitative Nursing Research. 2017; 42333393617742282https://doi.org/10.1177/2333393617742282
- Aged care nurse practitioners in Australia: evidence for the development of their role.Australian Health Review. 2013; 37: 594-601https://doi.org/10.1071/AH13052
- Reasons for choosing or refusing care from a nurse practitioner: results from a national population-based survey.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2019; 75: 3668-3676
- Enhanced primary care provided by a nurse practitioner candidate to aged care facility residents: a mixed methods study.Collegian. 2020; 27: 281-287https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2019.08.009
- A structure and process evaluation of an Australia hospital admission avoidance programme for aged care facility residents.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2012; 68: 322-334
- National evaluation of the nurse practitioner: aged care models of practice initiative: 2011–2014.Australian Government, Canberra2015
- An introduction to quality assurance in health care.Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK2003
- Predictive factors of the general public’s willingness to be seen and seek treatment from a nurse practitioner in Australia: a cross-sectional national survey.Human Resources for Health. 2021; 19: 21https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-021-00562-7
- Unplanned transfer to Emergency Departments for frail elderly residents of aged care facilities: a review of patient and organizational factors.Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2015; 16: 551-562https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2015.03.007
- How Australian residential aged care staffing levels compare with international and national benchmarks.Australian Health Services Research Institute, University of Wollongong, 2019
- Nurse practitioners in aged care settings: a study of general practitioners’ and registered nurses’ views.Contemporary Nurse. 2018; 54: 220-231https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.1484258
- Development and implementation of the advanced practice nurse worldwide with an interest in geriatric care.Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2016; 17: 782-788
- Using the Donabedian framework to examine the quality and safety of nursing service innovation.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2013; 23: 145-155https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12146
- Emergency department use by older adults: a literature review on trends, appropriateness, and consequences of unmet health care needs.Medical Care Research and Review. 2011; 68: 131-155https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558710379422
- Models of provider care in long-term care: a rapid scoping review.PLoS One. 2021; 16: 1-26https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254527
- Factors contributing to nurse job satisfaction in the acute hospital setting: a review of recent literature.Journal of Nursing Management. 2010; 18: 804-814
- Missed care in residential aged care in Australia: an exploratory study.Collegian. 2017; 24: 411-416https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2016.09.001
- Registered nurse retention strategies in nursing homes: a two-factor perspective.Health Care Management Review. 2012; 37: 246-256
- Linking outcomes to nurses' roles in health care.Nursing Economics. 1998; 1658
- The education of nurses working in care homes for older people: an appreciative inquiry.International Journal of Older People Nursing. 2019; 14e12223https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12223
- Issues of attraction, retention and affective states for geriatric nurse practitioners in long-term care.Geriatric Nursing. 2002; 23: 324-329https://doi.org/10.1067/mgm.2002.130278
- Appropriateness of transferring nursing home residents to emergency departments: a systematic review.BMC Geriatrics. 2019; 19: 1-9
- Transforming primary care: from past practice to the practice of the future.Health Affairs. 2010; 29: 779-784
- Effect of the Geriatric Emergency Department Intervention on outcomes of care for residents of aged care facilities: a non-randomised trial.Emergency Medicine Australasia. 2020; 32: 422-429https://doi.org/10.1111/1742-6723.13415
Mavromaras, K., Knight, G., Isherwood, L., Crettenden, A., Flavel, J., Karmel, T., et al., (2017). 2016 National Aged Care Workforce Census and Survey – The Aged Care Workforce. Canberra.
- Healthy communities: the evolving roles of nursing.in: Daly J. Speedy S. Jackson D. Contexts of nursing. 6th edn. Elsevier, Sydney2021: 263-284
- Qualitative data analysis: an expanded handbook.Sage, Thousand Oaks1994
- The impact of nurse practitioners on hospitalizations and discharges from long-term nursing facilities: a systematic review.Healthcare. 2020; 8114https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare8020114
MyAgedCare: Aged care homes (2022). Australian Government. Available from: 〈https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/aged-care-homes〉.
Nursing and Midwifery Board (2021). Nurse Practitioner Standards for Practice — Effective from 1 March 2021. Available from: 〈https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/codes-guidelines-statements/professional-standards/nurse-practitioner-standards-of-practice.aspx?TSPD_101_R0=08c403b005ab20008f26eb325065b3daff278d6662b5590081fe3d226bf11c752b1493fa8d06702a08ffa11737143000589fa6f8bb7b3715aa20baa906edd660386702b5da909753166e40be6e7f24af9bd92e75c8a7119f150878a6c39389c5〉.
- Nursing staff intentions towards managing deteriorating health in nursing homes: a convergent parallel mixed‐methods study using the theory of planned behaviour.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2018; 27: e992-e1003
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care(2017). Health Workforce Planning and Regulatory Affairs Division: Grow Your Own Nurse Practitioner Initiative. Available from: 〈http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/hhrsd/nursing/midcareer.aspx〉.
- Delivering, funding, and rating safe staffing levels and skills mix in aged care.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2021; 119103943https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2021.103943
- Proposed model of integrated care to improve health outcomes for individuals with multimorbidities.Patient Preference and Adherence. 2012; 6: 757-764https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S35201
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.International Journal for Quality in Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Advancing the clinical perspective: a practice development project to develop the nurse practitioner role in an acute hospital trust.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2005; 14: 444-455
- Factors influencing the development and implementation of nurse practitioner candidacy programs: a scoping review.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2022; 125104133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2021.104133