Summary of relevance
- •Problem: Limited research has explored older people's experience of community engagement within the aged care community and the wider community.
- •What is Already Known
- •People receiving aged care services are not always supported to engage within aged care and the wider community.
- •What this Paper Adds
- •Findings highlight that in residential aged care, staff provide the main connection for residents within aged care and the wider community. In independent living communities, people value independence. Nurses and care staff and aged care providers have a key role in helping older people stay connected. Strategies to promote engagement must be appropriate and meaningful to people in aged care.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Collegian
Aged & Community Services Australia. (2015). Social isolation and loneliness among older Australians.
Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission. (2020). Consumer engagement in aged care: literature review. https://www.agedcarequality.gov.au/sites/default/files/media/acqsc_consumer_engagement_in_aged_care_-_literature_review.pdf
Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission. (2021). Aged care quality standards https://www.agedcarequality.gov.au/providers/standards
- Aging living at home: residential satisfaction among active older adults based on the perceived home model.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021; 18: 8959https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18178959
- The taste buddies’: participation and empowerment in a residential home for older people.Ageing and Society. 2012; 32: 1055-1078https://doi.org/10.1017/s0144686x11000766
- Social isolation among older adults in long-term care: a scoping review.Journal of Aging and Health. 2021; 33: 618-632https://doi.org/10.1177/08982643211004174
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qualitative Research in Psychology. 2006; 3: 77-101https://doi.org/10.1191/1478088706qp063oa
- Thematic analysis.American Psychological Association, 2012https://doi.org/10.1037/13620-004
- Home beyond the house: experiences of place in an evolving retirement community.Journal of Environmental Psychology. 2009; 29: 246-255https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2008.07.002
- Exploration of the meaning of connectedness for older people in long-term care in context of their quality of life: a review and commentary.International Journal of Older People Nursing. 2014; 9: 192-199https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12017
- Predictors of loneliness among older women and men in Sweden: a national longitudinal study.Aging & Mental Health. 2015; 19: 409-417https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2014.944091
- Loneliness and social support among nursing home residents without cognitive impairment: a questionnaire survey.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2011; 48: 611-619https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.09.008
- Nurses' and personal care assistants' role in improving the relocation of older people into nursing homes.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2015; 24: 2005-2013https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12798
- The role of social engagement and identity in community mobility among older adults aging in place.Disability and Rehabilitation. 2014; 36: 1249-1257https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2013.837970
- Loneliness and social isolation as risk factors for mortality.Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2015; 10: 227-237https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691614568352
- Exploring the meaning of community for older Australians.Australian Occupational Therapy Journal. 2016; 63: 86-94https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12251
- Resident decision-making in the context of residential aged care.Collegian. 2018; 25: 509-515https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2017.12.006
- Relocation experiences with unplanned admission to a nursing home: a qualitative study.International Psychogeriatrics. 2017; 29: 517-527https://doi.org/10.1017/s1041610216001964
- Liamputtong P. Research Methods and Evidence-based Practice. 4th ed. Oxfrod University Press, 2022
National Health and Medical Research Council. (2007 .(Updated 2018). National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/about-us/publications/national-statement-ethical-conduct-human-research-2007-updated-2018
- Engaging in my rural community: perceptions of people aged 85 years and over.International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. 2018; 131503908https://doi.org/10.1080/17482631.2018.1503908
- Living in your own home and being socially connected at 95 years and beyond: a qualitative study.Contemporary Nurse. 2016; 52: 258-268https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2016.1205457
- Exploring aged care business models: a typological study.Ageing and Society. 2017; 37: 386-409https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X15001257
- Living in a nursing home: a phenomenological study exploring residents’ loneliness and other feelings.Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. 2018; 32: 1477-1484https://doi.org/10.1111/scs.12599
- Qualitative research & evaluation methods.4th ed. Sage, 2002
- Participation and power in care: exploring the “client” in client engagement.Journal of Aging Studies. 2014; 31: 119-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2014.09.007
- What health and aged care culture change models mean for residents and their families: a systematic review.The Gerontologist. 2015; 56: e12-e20https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnv151
- Supporting staff as change leaders in consumer engagement in aged care: learnings from action research.Journal of Nursing Management. 2020; 28: 643-652https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12968
Scottish Community Development Centre. (2016). The National Standards for Community Engagement. https://www.voicescotland.org.uk/national-standards
- Loneliness and isolation in long-term care and the COVID-19 pandemic.Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2020; 21: 966-967https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2020.05.006
- The adaptation of older adults’ transition to residential care facilities and cultural factors: a meta-synthesis.BMC Geriatrics. 2021; 21https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-020-01987-w
- Community engagement: an essential component of well-being in older African-American Adults.The International Journal of Aging and Human Development. 2013; 77: 233-257https://doi.org/10.2190/ag.77.3.d
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.International Journal for Quality in Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzm042
United Nations. (2019). World Population Ageing 2019: highlights https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WorldPopulationAgeing2019-Highlights.pdf
- Loneliness in care homes: a neglected area of research?.Aging Health. 2012; 8: 637-646https://doi.org/10.2217/ahe.12.65
World Health Organization (2016). Framework on integrated people-centred health services (A69/39). https://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA69/A69_39-en.pdf.
Commonwealth of Australia (2021). Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety: Final Report: Care Dignity and Respect, volume 1. https://agedcare.royalcommission.gov.au/publications/final-report.