Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Poor EMR usability linked to patient safety concerns, clinician burnout.ED Management. 2019; 31http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=136420144&site=ehost-live
- Medication administration quality and health information technology: a national study of US hospitals.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2012; 19: 360-367https://doi.org/10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000289
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. (2020a). Medication safety https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/medication-safety.
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. (2020b). Medication without harm WHO Global Patient Safety Challenge. Australia's response. https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/medication_without_harm_-_australias_response._january_2020.pdf.
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. (2021). The National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS). https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/standards/nsqhs-standards.
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, A. (2019). Electronic medication management https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/medication-safety/electronic-medication-management.
- Research study designs: experimental and quasi experimental.Basics of Research Part 3. 2006; 25 (Doi): 242-246https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amj.2006.09.001
- Measuring non-administration of ordered medications in the pediatric inpatient setting.International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2018; 110: 71-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2017.11.008
- Characterization of adverse events occurring during nursing clinical rotations: a descriptive study.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 84104224https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/characterization-adverse-events-occurring-during/docview/2338195033/se-2?accountid=14647
- Medication administration errors and related deviations from safe practice: an observational study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2017; 26: 3610-3623https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.104224
- Identifying error types made by nursing students using eMAR technology.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2017; 13: 492-500https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.05.016
- Effect of barcode-assisted medication administration on emergency department medication errors.Academic Emergency Medicine. 2013; 20: 801-806https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12189
- ICU nurses' acceptance of electronic health records.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2011; 18: 812-819https://doi.org/10.1136/amiajnl-2010-000018
- Evaluation of nurse interaction with bar code medication administration technology in the work environment.Journal of Patient Safety. 2007; 3: 34-42
- Effectiveness of an electronic inpatient medication record in reducing medication errors in Singapore.Nursing & Health Sciences. 2014; 16: 245-254https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12078
- Use of an electronic medication administration record (eMAR) for surveillance of medication omissions: results of a one year study of antimicrobials in the inpatient setting.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0122422https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0122422
- Exploring the effects of patients taking a vigilant role in collaborating on their e-medication administration record.International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2016; 88: 18-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2016.01.001
- Errors in medication dosage in the urgency unit of a hospital.Journal of Nursing UFPE. 2019; 13https://doi.org/10.5205/1981-8963.2019.239792
- Effect of bar-code-assisted medication administration on medication error rates in an adult medical intensive care unit.American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2009; 66: 1110-1115https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp080355
- Reducing drug errors by engaging student nurses in medication management simulation.Journal of Prescribing Practice. 2019; 1: 344-355https://doi.org/10.12968/jprp.2019.1.7.344
- EHRs remain near top of ECRI's top health IT hazards.Journal of AHIMA. 2016; 87: 11http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=112298144&site=ehost-live
- Medication administration discrepancies persist despite electronic ordering.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2007; 14: 756-764https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2359
- The impact of a closed-loop electronic prescribing and administration system on prescribing errors, administration errors and staff time: a before-and-after study.Quality & Safety in Health Care. 2007; 16: 279-284https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2006.019497
- Medication safety competence of undergraduate nursing students.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 52: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.12.003
- How effective are electronic medication systems in reducing medication error rates and associated harm among hospital inpatients? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2021; 28: 167-177https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocaa230
- Chart reviews in emergency medicine research: where are the methods?.Annals of Emergency Medicine. 1996; 27 (PMID: 8599488): 305-308https://doi.org/10.1016/s0196-0644(96)70264-0
- Investigating the causes of medication errors and strategies to prevention of them from nurses and nursing student viewpoint.Global Journal of Health Science. 2016; 8: 54448https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v8n8p220
- Medication errors made by nursing students in Turkey.International Journal of Caring Sciences. 2020; 13: 1183-1192https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/medication-errors-made-nursing-students-turkey/docview/2462487742/se-2?accountid=14647
- Effect of bar-code-assisted medication administration errors.American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2013; 70 (DOI): 572-573https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp120312
- Effect of bar-code-assisted medication administration on medication administration errors and accuracy in multiple patient care areas.American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2009; 66: 1202-1210https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp080357
- Medications for children receiving intensive care: a national sample.Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2020; 21: e679-e685https://doi.org/10.1097/PCC.0000000000002391
- Use of an audit with feedback implementation strategy to promote medication error reporting by nurses.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2020; 29: 4180-4193https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15447
- To computerised provider order entry system: a comparison of ECF, HFACS, STAMP and AcciMap approaches.Health Informatics Journal. 2020; 26: 1017-1042https://doi.org/10.1177/1460458219859992
- Measuring nursing benefits of an electronic medical record system: a scoping review.Collegian. 2019; 26: 562-582https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2019.01.003
- Evaluation of an intravenous preparation information system for improving the reconstitution and dilution process.International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2016; 94: 123-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2016.07.005
Joanna Briggs Institute. (2021). Checklist for Systematic Reviews and Research Synthesis. https://jbi.global/.
- Impact of interoperability of smart infusion pumps and an electronic medical record in critical care.American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2020; 77: 1231-1236https://doi.org/10.1093/ajhp/zxaa164
- Reducing medication errors by educating nurses on bar code technology.MEDSURG Nursing. 2014; : 1-11http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=113313800&site=ehost-live
- Barriers to the reporting of medication administration errors among nursing students.Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2009; 27: 66-74http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=105262634&site=ehost-live
- Workarounds to barcode medication administration systems: their occurrences, causes, and threats to patient safety.Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2008; 15: 408-423https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2616
- Types of medication administration errors and comparisons among nursing graduands in Indonesia, Taiwan, and Thailand: a cross-sectional observational study.Nurse Education Today. 2021; 28105120https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2021.105120
- Incorporating medication administration safety in undergraduate nursing education: a literature review.Nurse Education Today. 2019; 72: 77-83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.11.004
- A safe practice standard for barcode technology.Journal of Patient Safety. 2015; 11: 89-99http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=103596888&site=ehost-live
- Automated detection of medication administration errors in neonatal intensive care.Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2015; 57: 124-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2015.07.012
- Case study: using electronic medication administration record to enhance medication safety and improve efficiency in long-term care facilities.Nursing Leadership (1910-622X). 2019; 32: 102-113https://doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2019.25958
- Collaboration between pharmacists, physicians and nurse practitioners: a qualitative investigation of working relationships in the inpatient medical setting.Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2009; 23: 169-184
- Impact of an electronic medication administration record on medication administration efficiency and errors.Computers, Informatice, Nursing. 2014; 32: 589-595https://doi.org/10.1097/CIN.0000000000000116
- Medication alerts contribute to alarm fatigue.For the Record. 2012; 24 (-7): 7http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=76451711&site=ehost-live
- Bar code medication administration technology: characterization of high-alert medication triggers and clinician workarounds.Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 45: 162-168https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1P262
- Investigation of interventions to reduce nurses’ medication errors in adult intensive care units: a systematic review.Australian Critical Care. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aucc.2021.05.012
- Why do nursing students make medication errors? A qualitative study in Indonesia.Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences. 2019; 14: 282-288https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2019.04.002
- The effect of implementing bar-code medication administration in an emergency department on medication administration errors and nursing satisfaction.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2020; 46: 884-891https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jen.2020.07.004
- Ensuring effective care transition communication: implementation of an electronic medical record–based tool for improved cancer treatment handoffs between clinic and infusion nurses.Journal of Oncology Practice. 2019; 15: e480-e489https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.18.00245
- Frequency and potential causes of medication errors from nurses' viewpoint in hospitals affiliated to a medical sciences University in Iran.International Journal of Human Rights in Healthcare. 2019; 12: 267-275https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHRH-11-2018-0072
PRISMA Transparent Reporting of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis. (2021). PRISMA checklist. http://prisma-statement.org/prismastatement/Checklist.aspx.
- The impact of electronic medication administration records in a residential aged care home.International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2015; 84: 966-973https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.08.002
- Reported medication errors after introducing an electronic medication management system.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2013; 22: 579-589https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04326.x
- The extent of medication errors and adverse drug reactions through the patient journey in acute care in Australia.International Journal of Evidence Based Healthcare. 2016; 14: 113-122https://doi.org/10.1097/XEB.0000000000000075
- Effect of barcode technology with electronic medication administration record on medication accuracy rates.American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2014; 71: 209-218https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp130332
- Use of simulation-based learning to teach high-alert medication safety: a feasibility study.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 47: 60-64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.06.013
Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (2021). What is STROBE? https://www.strobe-statement.org/.
- Prevalence of medical errors and barriers to report among nurses and nursing students in Jordan: a cross-sectional study.Nursing Forum. 2021; 56: 284-290https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12542
- The relationship between the levels of nurse's competence and the length of their clinical experience: a tentative model for nursing competence development.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2012; 22: 1400-1410https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04239.x
- Integrative review: what is it? How to do it?.SciFlow Brazil. 2010; 8https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-45082010RW1134
Tetreault, K. M. (2016). A comparison of the features and functions available in electronic health records. 1. http://ezproxy.usq.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=c8h&AN=123296172&site=ehost-live.
- Review of medication errors that are new or likely to occur more frequently with electronic medication management systems.Australian Health Review. 2019; 2019: 276-283https://doi.org/10.1071/AH17119
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration.PLoS Medicine. 2007; 4: e297https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040297
- The retrospective chart review: important methodological considerations.Journal of educational evaluation for health professions. 2013; 10: 12https://doi.org/10.3352/jeehp.2013.10.12
- The intergrative review: updated methodology.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 52: 546-553https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03621.x
World Health Organization. (2021). Anatomica Therpeutic Chemical (ATC) classification https://www.who.int/tools/atc-ddd-toolkit/atc-classification.
World Health Organization, W. (2020). The third WHO global patient safety challenge; medication without harm. https://www.who.int/patientsafety/medication-safety/en/.
World Health Organization, W. (2022). Nursing and midwifery. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/nursing-and-midwifery.