Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The associations between loneliness, social exclusion and pain in the general population: a N=502,528 cross-sectional UK Biobank study.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2020; 130: 68-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2020.06.028
- The role of social isolation in physical and emotional outcomes among patients with chronic pain.General Hospital Psychiatry. 2021; 69: 50-54https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2021.01.009
- Loneliness, social isolation, and chronic disease outcomes.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2021; 55: 203-215https://doi.org/10.1093/abm/kaaa044
- Community life online and paper survey.Technical Report 2019-2020. 2020;
- Available from: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/899706/Community_Life_Online_and_Paper_Survey_Technical_Report_-_2019-20.pdf (Accessed 23 April 2021).
- Loneliness and depression among older European adults: the role of perceived neighborhood built environment.Health & Place. 2020; 62102280https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2019.102280
- EQ-5D-5L User Guide. 2019;
- Available from: https://euroqol.org/publications/user-guides (Accessed 1 June 2020).
- Loneliness and social isolation interventions for older adults: a scoping review of reviews.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-8251-6
- Psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L: a systematic review of the literature.Quality of Life Research. 2021; 30: 647-673https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-020-02688-y
- Social isolation and loneliness: the new geriatric giants: Approach for primary care.Canadian Family Physician. 2020; 66: 176-182
- Population health profile: South Eastern NSW: Coordinare - South Eastern NSW PHN (Last updated: September 2020).Coordinare. 2019;
- Multimorbidity, loneliness, and social isolation. A systematic review.International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health. 2020; 17: 17https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17228688
- Social isolation and loneliness as risk factors for myocardial infarction, stroke and mortality: UK Biobank cohort study of 479 054 men and women.Heart. 2018; 104: 1536-1542https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2017-312663
- Measuring social isolation in older adults: development and initial validation of the friendship scale.Social Indicators Research. 2006; 77: 521-548https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-005-7746-y
- Advancing social connection as a public health priority in the United States.American Psychologist. 2017; 72: 517-530https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000103
- A systematic review on technology-supported interventions to improve old-age social wellbeing: loneliness, social isolation, and connectedness.Journal of Healthcare Engineering. 2020; : 2036842https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/2036842
- The impact of social isolation on pain interference: a longitudinal study.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2019; 53: 65-74https://doi.org/10.1093/abm/kay017
- An overview of systematic reviews on the public health consequences of social isolation and loneliness.Public Health. 2017; 152: 157-171https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2017.07.035
- Perceived loneliness and social support in patients with chronic heart failure.European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2009; 8: 251-258https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2009.05.001
- The role of social isolation in frequent and/or avoidable hospitalisation: rural community-based service providers’ perspectives.Australian Health Review. 2013; 37: 223-231https://doi.org/10.1071/AH12152
- Living in your own home and being socially connected at 95 years and beyond: a qualitative study.Contemporary Nurse. 2016; 52: 258-268https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2016.1205457
- Loneliness and social isolation as risk factors for mortality: a meta-analytic review.Perspectives in Psychological Science. 2015; 10: 227-237https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691614568352
- A short scale for measuring loneliness in large surveys: results from two population-based studies.Research on Aging. 2004; 26: 655-672https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027504268574
- Loneliness: a sourcebook of current theory, research and practice.John Wiley, New York1982
- The Cambridge handbook of personal relationships.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK2006
- Association between musculoskeletal pain with social isolation and loneliness: analysis of the English longitudinal study of ageing.British Journal of Pain. 2019; 13: 82-90https://doi.org/10.1177/2049463718802868
United Nations. (2015). World population ageing. Available from: https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WPA2015_Report.pdf (Accessed 23 April 2021).
- Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health (Accessed 23 April 2021).
- Social isolation and loneliness among older adults in the context of COVID-19: a global challenge.Global Health Research and Policy. 2020; 5https://doi.org/10.1186/s41256-020-00154-3