Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2010). Recommended Baccalaureate Competencies and Curricular Guidelines for the Nursing Care of Older Adults. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/AcademicNursing/CurriculumGuidelines/AACN-Gero-Competencies-2010 (Accessed 2 September 2021).
- Nurses and midwives in Australia.DoH., Canberra2020(Accessed 2 September 2021)
- 2020 aged care workforce census report.DoH, Canberra2020 (https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/10/2020-aged-care-workforce-census.pdf (Accessed 2 September 2021))
- Registered Nurse Accrediatation Standards 2019.ANMAC., Canberra2019 (https://www.anmac.org.au/document/registered-nurse-accreditation-standards-2019 (Accessed 2 September 2021))
- ANMF submission. Educating the nurse of the future – independent review of nursing education.ANMF., Melbourne2019(Accessed 2 September 2021)
- Australian qualifications framework second edition.Australian Qualifications Framework Council, South Australia2013https://www.aqf.edu.au/sites/aqf/files/aqf-2nd-edition-january-2013.pdf(Accessed 2 September 2021)Date accessed: September 2, 2021
Australian Institute of Health & Welfare. (2019). Admitted patient care 2017–18: Australian hospital statistics. Health services series no. 90. Cat. no. HSE 225. AIHW, Canberra. Accessed 2 September 2021. https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/df0abd15-5dd8-4a56-94fa-c9ab68690e18/aihw-hse-225.pdf.
Australian Nursing and Midwifery Association. (2019). ANMF submission. Educating the nurse of the future independent review of nursing education. ANMF, Melbourne. (Accessed 2 September 2021). https://anmf.org.au/documents/submissions/ANMF_Submission_Nursing_education_review_4July19.pdf.
Canadian Gerontological Nurses Association. (2020). Gerontological nursing standards of practice and competencies. (4th Ed). April 15 2020. https://cgna.net/standards (Accessed 2 September 2021).
- Learning from nursing students’ experiences and perceptions of their clinical placements in nursing homes: an integrative literature review.Nurse Education Today. 2021; 100: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2021.104857
- Nursing faculty and students’ perspectives of how students learn to work with older people.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020.104537
- Registered nurses’ reflections on their educational preparation to work with older people.International Journal of Nursing Older People. 2021; 16 (Article e12363)https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12363
- Patterns of clinical mentorship in undergraduate nurse education. A comparative case analysis of eleven EU and non-EU countries.Nurse Education Today. 2016; 36: 44-52https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.07.010
- Addressing the community-based geriatric healthcare workforce shortage by leveraging the potential of interprofessional teams.Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2019; 67: S400-S408
- In pursuit of an optimal model of undergraduate nurse clinical education: an integrative review.Nurse Education in Practice. 2016; 21: 83-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2016.09.007
- A retrospective/prospective on the future of geriatric nursing.Geriatric Nursing. 2020; 41: 29-31https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2020.01.02.012
- The impact of a gerontology nursing course with a service-learning component on student attitudes towards working with older adults: a mixed methods study.Nurse Education in Practice. 2020; 42 (Article 102684)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2019.102684
- Gerontological nurse teachers’ abilities and influence on students’ willingness in older people nursing: A cross-sectional, correlational survey.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 90 (Article 104461)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020
- Nursing curriculums may hinder a career in gerontological nursing: an integrative review.International Journal of Older People Nursing. 2017; 12 (e12115)https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12152
- Gerontology coursework in undergraduate nursing programs in the United States: A regional study.Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 2004; 30: 46-51https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20040301-13
- Australia's future health workforce – Nurses overview.DoH, Canberra2014 (https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/03/nurses-australia-s-future-health-workforce-reports-overview-report.pdf (Accessed 2 September 2021))
Hunt, G., Verstappen, A., Stewart, L., Kool, B., & Slark, J. (2020). Career interest of undergraduate students: a ten-year longitudinal study. Nurse Education in Practice, 43, 102702. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2020.102702.
Jadczak, A.D., Robson, L., Cooper, T., Bell, S.J., Visvanathan, R. & FIRST STudy Collaborators. (2021). The Frailty In Residential Sector over Time (FIRST) study: methods and baseline cohort description. BMC Geriatrics, 21, Article 99. doi:10.1186/s12877-020-01974-1.
- Nursing students’ experiences with clinical placement in residential aged care facilities: a systematic review of qualitative evidence.JBI Database of Systematic Reviews & Implementation Reports. 2020; 18: 986-1018https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-D-19-00122
- Student attitudes and educational support in caring for older people: a review of the literature.Nurse Education in Practice. 2012; 12: 16-20https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2011.04.007
- Nursing students’ experiences with clinical placement in nursing homes: a focus group study.BMC Nursing. 2021; (Article 159): 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-021-00690-4
- Nursing students’ preferences for clinical placements in the residential aged care setting.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2018; 27: 143-152https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13859
- Incentivising a career in older adult nursing: the views of student nurses.International Journal of Older People Nursing. 2019; 14 (Article e12256)https://doi.org/10.1111/opn.12256
National Hartford Centre of Gerontological Nursing Excellence. (2021). https://www.nhcgne.org/ (Accessed 2 September 2021).
- Challenges for Australian nursing in the international year of older persons.Geriatric Nursing. 1999; 20: 14-17https://doi.org/10.1016/s0197-4572(99)70050-9
- Recent patterns of multimorbidity among older adults in high-income countries.Population Health Management. 2019; 22: 127-137https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2018.0069
- Royal commission into aged care quality and safety. Final report: care, dignity and respect.DoH., Canberra2021https://agedcare.royalcommission.gov.au/publications/final-report(Accessed 2 September 2021)Date accessed: September 2, 2021
- Qualitative research & evaluation methods. Integrating theory and practice.4th Ed. Sage Publications, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA2002
- Preparing for an aging Australia: the development of multidisciplinary core competencies for the Australian health and aged care workforce.Gerontological & Geriatrics Education. 2020; 42: 399-422https://doi.org/10.1080/02701960.2020.1843454
- Finnish nurse students’ attitudes towards older adults and the teaching of gerontological nursing – a survey study.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 88104379https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020.104379
Schwartz, S. (2019). Educating the nurse of the future—report of the independent review into nursing education. DoH, Canberra. https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/educating-the-nurse-of-the-future (Accessed 2 September 2021).
- The influence of theory and practice on perceptions about caring for ill older people - a literature review.Nurse Education in Practice. 2016; 19: 41-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2016.04.003
- Gerontological education in undergraduate nursing programs: an Australian perspective.Educational Gerontology. 2008; 34: 763-781https://doi.org/10.1080/03601270802016424