There have been shortages of qualified nurses to teach nursing in Vietnam, leading to the involvement of physicians to undertake nurse educator roles for decades.
To explore (i) how Vietnamese clinical nurse educators are recruited for their roles, (ii) their perceived confidence in clinical teaching and (iii), the association between perceived confidence and nursing background.
Descriptive survey design was used to conduct the study. Cross-sectional surveys were used to collect data from 334 clinical nurse educators from 19 institutions in Vietnam.
Clinical nurse educators in Vietnam were recruited from three sources: (1) new Bachelor of Nursing graduates, (2) experienced nurses or nurse educators and (3) those who did not have a background in nursing (mostly physicians). Regardless of the professional background participants perceived their confidence in clinical teaching at moderate and high levels. Experienced nurses rated their confidence lower than all other groups, including those who did not have any clinical nursing experience prior to commencing the clinical educator role.
The recruitment of non-nurses and nurses without experience as clinicians to undertake the role of nurse educator role does not appear to affect their confidence in clinical teaching. The professional backgrounds of these groups appear to be unique to Asian contexts and may provide insight into identified delays in the development of professional identity in nursing students.
This study has contributed important insights into the current situation surrounding nursing education in Vietnam. Recommendations are provided to inform future recruitment of clinical nurse educators.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Collegian
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Skilled or unskilled, but still unaware of it: How perceptions of difficulty drive miscalibration in relative comparisons.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2006; : 60
- Expert to novice: Clinicians learning new roles as clinical nurse educators.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2009; 30: 367-371https://doi.org/10.1043/1536-5026-30.6.367
- A mixed-method study on the socialization process in clinical nursing faculty.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2013; 34: 106-110
- An experience of transition from a medical model to a nursing model in nurse education.Nurse Education Today. 1989; 9: 413-418https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-6917(89)90097-X
- Why the unskilled are unaware: Further explorations of (absent) self-insight among the incompetent.Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 2008; 105: 98-121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2007.05.002
- Nurses and challenges faced as clinical educators: A survey of a group of nurses in Cameroon.The Pan African Medical Journal. 2011; 8: 28
- Clinical teachers' approaches to nursing.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 785-793https://doi.org/10.1111/j. 1365-2702.2009.03078.x
- Clinical teachers' conceptions of nursing.Journal of Nursing Education. 2011; 50: 152-157https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20100930-06
- Literature review: ‘Are you ok there?’ The socialisation of student and graduate nurses: Do we have it right?.Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2015; : 38
- Improving access to quality clinical nurse teaching — A partnership between Australia and Vietnam.Nurse Education Today. 2013; 33https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.02.001
- Clinical nursing faculty competence inventory − Development and psychometric testing.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2011; 67: 1109-1117https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05520.x
- Alice through the looking glass: The influence of self and student understanding on role actualization among novice clinical nurse educators.Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2010; 41: 517-523https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20100701-07
- Empowerment of nursing as a socially significant profession in Vietnam.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2000; 32: 317-321
- The calibration of expert judgment: Heuristics and biases beyond the laboratory.in: Gilovich T. Griffin D. Kahneman D. Heuristics and biases: The psychology of intuitive judgment. Cambridge University Press, New York2002: 686-715
- Unskilled and unaware of it: How difficulties in recognizing one's own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1999; : 1121
- Unskilled and unaware-but why? A reply to Krueger and Mueller.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2002; 2: 189
- Social comparison and confidence: When thinking you’re better than average predicts overconfidence (and when it does not).Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 2007; 102: 76-94https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2006.10.002
- Clinical placements and nursing students' career planning: A qualitative exploration.International Journal Of Nursing Practice. 2010; 16: 176-182https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01827.x
- Development and validation of an instrument to measure nurse educator perceived confidence in clinical teaching.Nursing and Health Sciences. 2017; (in press)https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12373
- Models of human behaviour and confidence in judgement: A review.International Journal of Forecasting. 1989; 5: 159-169https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-2070(89)90083-6
- Negotiating multiple roles: Link teachers in clinical nursing practice.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2004; 45: 287-296https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02889.x
- An initial investigation of the applicability of the Dreyfus skill acquisition model to the professional development of nurse educators?.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2012; 33: 312-316
- The impact of the medical model on nursing practice and assessment.International Journal Of Nursing Studies. 1994; 31: 57-66https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(94)90007-8
- Are the unskilled doomed to remain unaware?.Journal of Economic Psychology. 2012; 33: 1012-1031https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2012.06.003
- Professional culture brokers: Nursing faculty perceptions of nursing culture and their role in student formation.Nurse Education in Practice. 2016; 18: 10-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2016.02.008
- Joint annual health review: Health financing in Vietnam.Ministry of Health of Vietnam, Hanoi2008
- Nursing and midwifery databanks.2013
- Constructing a nursing identity within the clinical environment: The student nurse experience.Contemporary Nurse: A Journal for the Australian Nursing Profession. 2014; 49: 103-112https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2014.49.103
- Nursing education in China: Meeting the global demand for quality healthcare.International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2016; 3: 131-136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnss.2016.02.009
Published online: October 06, 2017
Accepted: September 26, 2017
Received in revised form: September 12, 2017
Received: July 7, 2017
© 2017 Australian College of Nursing Ltd. Published by Elsevier Ltd.