Changing community demographics and the rising incidence of chronic and complex conditions has exacerbated the primary care workload. Encouraging beginning nurses to view primary care nursing as a viable career option will help alleviate the workforce stress of this specialty. Whilst higher education institutions (HEI's) have increased the exposure of pre-registration nurses to community settings, there has been limited exploration of this experience from the perspective of pre-registration nurses. As potential key service providers, it is important to identify factors which influence how pre-registration nurses view primary care placements in the community.
This study seeks to explore the experiences of pre-registration nursing students following community based clinical placements and to explore the impact of this placement on their learning.
A qualitative design was employed in this study.
Nine pre-registration nursing students were recruited from a research intensive single campus of an Australian university.
In-depth semi-structured interviews.
Findings are presented in the following four themes: (1) autonomy in practice: “you make your own decisions”, (2) working with highly skilled nurses: “their knowledge was just incredible”, (3) focusing on holistic care: “they’d obviously built rapport with these people”, and (4) showing genuine interest in educating students: “they got me involved”.
Exposure to community settings was a positive learning experience for pre-registration nursing students. Further research needs to focus on the impact of these placements on both clinical skills acquisition and job choices into the future.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Collegian
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary Health Care in Australia: A nursing and midwifery consensus view.2009 (Retrieved from: http://anmf.org.au/documents/reports/PHC_Australia.pdf)
- Nursing perspectives on factors influencing interdisciplinary teamwork in the Canadian primary care setting.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2014; 23: 2968-2979https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12547
- Preparing nurses to work in primary care: Educators’ perspectives.Nursing Standard. 2013; 27: 41-46
- Are English novice nurses prepared to work in primary care setting?.Nurse Education in Practice. 2011; 11: 304-308https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2011.02.001
- Place(ment) matters: Students’ clinical experiences and their preferences for first employers.International Nursing Review. 2005; 52: 142-153
- Professional roles and communications in clinical placements: A qualitative study of nursing students’ perceptions and some models for practice.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2006; 43: 861-874
- Student nurses’ experiences of community-based practice placement learning: A qualitative exploration.Nurse Education in Practice. 2010; 10: 144-152
- Factors affecting student nurses’ learning in community placements: A phenomenological study.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1993; 18: 1043-1053https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1993.18071043.x
- Nursing students’ perceptions of their clinical learning environment in placements outside traditional hospital settings.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2014; 23: 2958-2967https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12532
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qualitative Research in Psychology. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Quality clinical placements for undergraduate nursing students: A cross-sectional survey of undergraduates and supervising nurses.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2012; 68: 1380-1390
- Determining validity in qualitative inquiry.Theory into Practice. 2000; 39: 1-130
- Reflexivity in research: Promoting rigour, reliability and validity in qualitative research.International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2014; 21: 560-568
- Practice nurses experiences of mentoring undergraduate nursing students in Australian general practice.Nurse Education Today. 2012; 32: 524-528https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.08.012
- When I grow up I want to be a…? Where undergraduate student nurses want to work after graduation.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1999; 29: 499-505
- Australia's Health Workforce Series: Nurses in focus.Health Workforce Australia, Adelaide2013
- Commonwealth Department of Health Clinical training 2012. 2013
- Assisting nurses to facilitate student and new graduate learning in practice settings: What ‘support’ do nurses at the bedside need?.Nurse Education in Practice. 2013; 13: 197-201https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.09.005
- Position statement – Nurses in primary health care. Geneva, Switzerland.2007
- Preparing nurses for primary health care futures: How well do Australian nursing courses perform?.Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2010; 16: 211-216
- Satisfaction with clinical placement – The perspective of nursing students from multiple universities.Collegian. 2014; 22: 125-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2013.1012.1005
- Staff–student relationships and their impact on nursing students’ belongingness and learning.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2009; 65: 316-324
- Clinical placements and nursing students’ career planning: A qualitative exploration.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2010; 16: 176-182
- Clinical placements in general practice: Relationships between practice nurses and tertiary institutions.Nurse Education in Practice. 2013; 13: 186-191https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.09.007
- Essentials of nursing research: Appraising evidence for nursing practice.8th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2014
- The community working workforce in England.2012 (Retrieved from: http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/450525/09.12_The_Community_Nursing_Workforce_in_England.pdf)
- Doing qualitative research: A practical handbook/David Silverman.2nd ed. SAGE, London2005
- A descriptive survey investigating pre-registration student nurses’ perceptions of clinical skill development in clinical placements.Nurse Education Today. 2012; 33: 425-430
- Qualitative research: Analysis types and software tools/Renata Tesch.Falmer Press, New York1990
- Facilitating student learning in clinical practice.Nursing New Zealand. 2010; 16 (32): 14-16
- An exploration of the clinical learning experience of nursing students in nine European countries.Nurse Education Today. 2010; 30: 809-815
Published online: April 07, 2015
Accepted: March 2, 2015
Received in revised form: February 6, 2015
Received: December 9, 2014
© 2015 Published by Elsevier Inc.